Historic Takoma, Inc.
Preserving the Heritage of Takoma ParkMD & TakomaDC
Celebrating 25 Years of Service to the Community 19792004.
Reprinted with permission of the Takoma Voice, printed May 1999.
Lamond's or Terra Cotta Station and Works
By Elizabeth Marple Bentley
The Metropolitan line stopped at Lamond's Station from 1873 to 1922. From its original situation at Brightwood (or Takoma), a three-sided shed was shifted to Lamond's, and stood on the west side of the tracks close to Whittier Street where it crossed the tracks. The closest store for some early Brightwood residents was reported to have been near here on Blair Road.
Backing great ovens against the bluff east of the railroad track, Angus Lamond Sr. established a successful terra cotta tile clay works on land he owned near Underwood Street and Chillum Road.
Situated above the tile works on an abrupt rise of land that is higher than Takoma Park, Angus Lamond Jr.'s home looked across to Takoma on the north, and to the District and Fort Slocum on the west. Almost across the road from the Lamonds was the Harlan family at 6615 First Street. That house is still standing. Lamond's son Angus later built a house at 7221 Blair Road NW.