permission of the Takoma Voice,
printed December, 1998.
Once upon a time in Takoma Park
Street names and numbers have changed over the years, especially with
reference to streets and avenues. Named streets in the District are "streets;"
in Takoma Park, Md., they are "avenues." We hope you will join the Takoma
Voice and Historic Takoma, Inc.'s ongoing search for new
historical information on Takoma Park commerce and buildings.
The 20s and 30s in Takoma, DC
Cedar, Blair Road
4th & Butternut
- Dome Oil Co.
- Watkins Apartment House
- Takoma Theater
- Old Colony Laundry Co."We wash everything but the baby" [behind the
- Isaac Bigelow Roofing
- Casey Motor Company [empty lot]
- Israel Gritz Shoes and Furnishings
- Davis & Platt Contractors, later The Takoma Enterprise [4th Street
- Kaufman's Bakery [National Electric]
- Pioneer Press, owner Frank Skinner [Thomas & Lee Cabinetry]
- H. O. Albans 5¢ to $1 Store[Urban Arts Cafe]
302 Cedar Street
- Park Inn Lunch [Takoma Station]
317-319 Cedar St.
323 Cedar St.
- Walter J. Pugh Furniture & Radios
335 Cedar St.
- J.W. Simpson & Son Meats & Vegetables
341 Cedar St.
- Feldman's Department Store ("Union suits. ... ladies cadet silk hosiery").
5th and Cedar
- O. W. Youngblood's Hardware
6000 Blair Road
- Takoma, DC. Library. Built in 1919.
Carroll & Cedar -"The Point"
- Southern Building Supply Co. [empty lot]
359 Cedar St.
18 Carroll St.
- Mattingly Pharmacy (Takoma Park's first drug store)
- E. K. Richardson & Co.
- LaScola's Deli
- Bailey Building built on site of Warren's Stationery Store in 1924
- Kestler's Barber Shop
32 Carroll St.
- Pansey's Beauty Shop, later Hirsta Bros. Deli & Cafe
32 Carroll St.
- Anthony Grubb Real Estate (also Takoma Journal)
249 Carroll St.
- Acme Market [Takoma Funeral Home]
269 Carroll St.
300 Carroll St.
- Dr. Parson's House [Takoma Funeral Home parking]
304 Carroll St.
266 Carroll St.
- The Follmer House [India House]
- Friedrich's Cleaners, 1947
Takoma Park, Maryland in the 20s and 30s
21 Laurel Ave
33 Laurel Ave
37 Laurel Ave
27 Carroll Ave
- Sherman's Department Store [Shampoo]
- Hendrix (Ford Motor Company) [Taliano's]
Carroll Ave South
- Driveway to Service Department [Chuck & Dave's]
107 Carroll St.
- Electric Maid Bakery [Mark's Kitchen]
204 Carroll St.
- E. V. Crittendon Paper Hanging
212 Carroll St.
Carroll at Maple
- Fred E. Dudley House [CVS Pharmacy]
Carroll at Willow Ave
- The first Takoma Park Bank Building, 1917 [Takoma Business Center]
- Takoma Park Bank, 1927 [later Suburban Bank, now Nations Bank]
- Citizens Bank Building, 1931, later with drive-through banking service
- Takoma Review and Herald Building [Arise, et al]
Carroll & Willow Aves
- Review and Herald Cafe (at rear of R & H Building)
Carroll & Tulip
- Takoma Park Seventh-day Adventist Church (used on Sundays by Takoma
Park Christian Church) [former Citizen's Bank parking lot]
- Glickman's Esso Station
- Sickler's Oil Service [now Savory]
Takoma's "half-way" stores in the 40s
Carroll Ave before Grant
7300 Carroll Ave
- Fetty's Public Address Systems [Takoma Letter Shop]
- Roland Dawes Barbershop
- Savage's Market [Kinetic Artistry]
- Gas Station
7303 Carroll Ave
- Manor Pharmacy, Sanitary Grocery [TJ's deli]
Carroll Ave on east side
- Freddy's Deli
- Hubbard Cleaner's
- Greek Restaurant
- Bakery "Butter Gems and Butter Pecan Rolls"
- Frank's Realty
- District Grocery Store (DGS) [Suds}
Copyright © December 1998 Takoma Voice
- Shell Gas [Takoma Junction Shelter and Park]
- Safeway [later Turner Electric and now Takoma Park Silver Spring Food
- Lot between Fire Station and Safeway used for Carnivals
- Amoco Gas Station [Takoma Auto Clinic]
- Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department